Astha Agarwal, Ph.D.
Patent Agent / Leader, Chemistry & Life Sciences Group
LexpertConsilium LLP (Back Office of Davé Law Group)
Dr. Astha Agarwal is a Patent Agent. She focuses her practice on strategic client counselling, and patent prosecution for a wide range of clients, including start-up biotech and chemistry companies, pharmaceutical companies, and independent vendors.
Astha provides patentability opinions, drafts patent specification with claims, prepares response to Office Actions for patent applications and represents applicants before the Indian Patent Office (IPO). She also has experience in preparing responses to International Search Report (ISR) and Written Opinion issued by World Intellectual Property (WIPO), attending hearings, preparing and filing pre-grant and post-grant opposition at IPO. She also prepares and prosecutes design applications and supports litigation team.
Astha also provides strategic advice for pre-litigation analysis and prepares freedom-to-operate, infringement and invalidity opinions. She is also chosen as one of facilitator for patents and designs under Scheme for Facilitating Startups Intellectual Property Protection (SIPP), India. Astha also acts as a tutor for WIPO distance learning program DL-320 entitled ‘Basics of Patent Drafting.’
Astha has research experience in scientific disciplines including molecular biology, genetics, genomics and microbiology. She has extensive experience in drafting and prosecuting patent applications in the broad areas of life sciences, biotechnology and pharmaceuticals, green technology including cell therapy, gene-based therapy, protein therapeutics, including biologics, antibodies, modified antibodies and enzyme therapeutics, medical devices, analytical, experimental, and clinical methods and diagnostics.
Prior to joining LexpertConsilium LLP, Astha was working at a law firm. Astha has received her Ph.D. from the department of Bioengineering, Birla Institute of Technology. Her research work was focused on isolation, characterization, and immobilization of nitrile-converting enzyme. Post Ph.D, she worked at Indian Institute of Maize Research. Her research work was focused on small RNA next genome sequencing (NGS) studies and advanced gene editing method such as CRISPR technology.
Ampliwise Inc.: Ampliwise Inc. is is an active Californian business entity. Astha performed patentability analysis, drafted patent applications along with claims, preliminary amendment and response to office actions. (E.g., Patent No. US10,907,200B2)
Biomerix Corporation: Biomerix Corporation is involved with proprietary non-resorbable and resorbable urethane biomaterials targeted at medical technology and regenerative medicine applications. Astha performed patentability analysis, drafting of patent applications along with claims.
George Mason University (GMU): GMU is a public research university in Fairfax County, Virginia, USA. Patentability analysis, drafting patent applications along with claims, preliminary amendment and response to Office Action. (E.g., US20190240318A1, WO/2020/264093A2, US20190169297A1)
Immatics Biotechnologies GMBH: Immatics combines the discovery of true targets for cancer immunotherapies with the development of the right T cell receptors with the goal of enabling a robust and specific T cell response against these targets. Astha drafted response to office action. (E.g., Indian Patent Application - 7568/CHENP/2015)
Liquidmetal Coatings LLC: Liquidmetal Coatings, LLC is an oil & energy company based out of 900 Rockmead Drive Suite 240, Kingwood, Texas, United States. Astha Drafts patent applications, response to US office action and preliminary amendment. (E.g., US20210108299A1)
Marwian GMBH: Marwian GMBH work on new biocidal active substance and currently preparing the biocidal products regulation authorization for several different product types. Astha has drafted patent applications along with claims, preliminary amendment and response to Office Action, Declaration under 37 C.F.R. Rule 132. (E.g., US20200000135A1, US20190254325A1, US20190254324A1, WO/2019/164783A1)
Monsoon Beverages LLC: Monsoon Beverages LLC is located in Billings, MT, United States and is part of the Specialty Food Stores Industry. Astha has drafted patent applications, prepared amendment under Article 19 in response to ISR, response to US office action. (E.g., WO/2020/229903A1)
MyTech Co. Ltd.: Mytech Co. Ltd. Kobe, Japan is involved in detection of biofluids. Astha has drafted patent application along with claims, preliminary amendment and response to US office action. The patent application is not yet published.
Orlucent Inc.: Orlucent Inc. evaluates biological activity originating from within the mole. Astha performs patentability analysis, drafts patent applications along with claims, prepares preliminary amendment. The patent application is not yet published.
Shenzhen Xpectvision Technology Co. Ltd.: Shenzhen XpectVision Technology is a high-tech company committed to disruptive and innovative technology development. Astha drafts design applications and prosecutes same in India (E.g., Indian Design Application No. 324835-001)
Stabicon Lifesciences Pvt. Ltd.: Stabicon Lifesciences Pvt. Ltd. company deals mainly with development of pharmaceutical formulation. Astha performed patentability analysis, drafted patent application, filed PCT application, prepared amendment under Article 19 in response to ISR. (E.g., WO/2020/084634A1)
Stelo Technologies: Stelo Technologies Inc is an active Californian business entity. Astha has drafted new set of claims for continuation application and prepared response to US office action. (E.g., Patent No. US10,064,793B2)
Toray Plastics (America), Inc.: Toray Plastics (America), Inc. is a subsidiary of Toray Industries Inc., the world leader in synthetic fibers and textiles, carbon fibers, plastics, chemicals, pharmaceuticals and high-performance films. Astha drafts patent application, responses to Office Action, prepares preliminary amendment and declaration under Rule 132. She also takes care of responses to office actions filed in other jurisdictions such as JP, CN. (E.g., US20170326842A1; Patent No. US10,674,738B2; US20200190315A1)
BOE Technology Group Co., Ltd. (BTGC): BGC is one of the world's largest manufacturers of LCD, OLEDs and flexible displays. Astha prepares response to US office actions for BTGC. (E.g., US20190085441A1, US20200035159A1; Patent No. US10,643,526B2, US10,657,887B2)
KnoetiK Solutions Inc, USA: KnoetiK Solutions Inc specializes is a cloud security and visibility, enables programs to migrate to the cloud while delivering predictive analytics, data protection, compliance, and control. Astha has assisted in patentability analysis and drafted patent applications.
Representative Patent Drafting and Prosecution Experience
• US10,657,887B2 titled “Protection Circuit and Method, Pixel Circuit, and Display Device”
• US20190085441A1 titled “Hermetic Sealed Crucible and Vapor Deposition Method Using the Same”
• US20200376809A1 titled “Cladded Amorphous Metal Products”
• US20200324362A1 titled “Ultrasonic Additive Manufacturing of Cladded Amorphous Metal Products”
• US20170327879A1 titled “Compositions, Methods, Systems and Kits for Nucleic Acid Amplification and Analysis”
• US10,907,200B2 titled “Compositions and Methods for Nucleic Acid Amplification”
• US10,064,793B2 titled “Methods of Making Silver Nanoparticles and Their Applications”
• US10,674,738B2 titled “Starch Coated Polyester Film for Release of Canned Meat Products”
• US20160263653A1 titled “Amorphous Alloy Containing Feedstock for Powder Injection Molding”
• US20190254324A1 titled as “Enhanced Kava Extract, Method of Making the Same, and Compositions Thereof”
• US20200362110A1 titled as “Novel Active Biocidal Substances and Production Process Thereof”
• US20200190315A1 titled “Anti-Blush and Chemical Resistant Polyester Film”
• US20170037497A1 titled “Fiber-Containing Composites”
• US20180244024A1 titled “Monoaxially or Biaxially Oriented Polyolefin Release Film”
• US20190169297A1 titled “Targeting the Cofilin Pathway”
• Patent Scientist, a law firm in India, 2018-2019
• KIRAN-IPR Fellow, Intellectual Property Office (Delhi, India), 2017-2018
Honors and Awards
• International Certificate Course on IP Asset management for business success: Successfully completed course jointly organized by WIPO, KIPO, KIPA, KAIST from March 2020 to November 2020.
• IPR Olympiad: Secured all India 05 rank in professional category of India’s 1st IPR Olympiad 2019 help on September 28-29, 2019.
• Received fellowship under KIRAN-IPR Women Scientist-C Scheme by Department of Science and Technology, India.
• BMS College of Law, L.LB, [Anticipated 2023]
• Birla Institute of Technology, Ph.D. Biotechnology, 2015
• Vellore Institute of Technology, B.Tech Biotechnology, 2011
• Agarwal A, Khandelwal AK, Nigam VK, Vidyarthi AS “Immobilization of Nitrilase Producing Streptomyces SP. MTCC 7546 Towards Production of Indole Acetic Acid”. 53rd Annual Association of Microbiologist (AMI), Bhubaneshwar, India. pp:162, Nov. 22-25, 2012.
• Agarwal A, Jain AK, Nigam VK, Vidyarthi AS, Mohan MK “Screening of Nitrilase Synthesizing Isolates for Indole Acetic Acid (IAA) Production.” National conference on Biotechnology for sustainable development. Gorakhpur, India. pp:28, Nov. 15 and 16, 2011.
• Dayaman V, Agarwal A, Singh I, Yadava P “Identification and Transcriptional Profile of Selected Phosphate Responsive Genes during Phosphate Deprived Condition in Maize.” International conference on Agriculture, Food Science, Natural Resources Management and Environmental Dynamics: The Technology, People and Sustainable Development, Mohanpur, West Bengal, India. pp: 23, Aug. 13 and 14, 2016.
• R Dhar, A Agarwal, V.K. Nigam: Studies on the production of lovastatin from fungi. 54th Annual Conference of Association of Microbiologist (AMI-2013) & International Symposium on “Frontier Discoveries and Innovation in Microbiology and its Interdisciplinary Relevance” (FDMIR-2013) at Department of Microbiology, Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak, Haryana, Rohtak, India, Nov 17-20, 2013.
• Agarwal A, Yadava P, Kumar K, Singh I, Kaul T, Pattanayak A, Agrawal PK, “Insights into Maize Genome Editing via CRISPR/Cas9,” Physiology and Molecular Biology of Plants, 24, 175–183, 2018.
• Agarwal A, Nigam VK, “Enhanced Production of Nitrilase from Streptomyces sp. MTCC 7546 by Response Surface Methodology,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, India, Section B: Biological Science, 87, 603–609, 2015.
• Agarwal A, Nigam VK, “Nitrilase Mediated Conversion of Indole-3-Acetonitrile to Indole-3-Acetic Acid,” Biocatalysis and Agriculture Biotechnology, 3, 351-357, 2014.
• Nigam VK, Dhar R, Agarwal A, Khandelwal AK, Mohan MK, Vidyarthi AS, Ghosh P, “Studies on the Production of Fungal Secondary Metabolite Lovastatin,” International Journal of Advanced Research, 2, 978-986, 2014.
• Arfi T, Agarwal A, Nigam VK, “Bioproduction of Nicotinic Acid,” International Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 5, 2622-2631, 2013.
• Nigam VK, Khandelwal AK, Agarwal A, Mohan MK, Vidyarthi AS, “Production of a Thermostable Nitrilase in a Lab Scale Stirred Tank Reactor,” International Journal of Bioscience and Biotechnology, 4, 81-90, 2012.
• Agarwal A, Nigam VK, Vidyarthi AS, “Nitrilases - An Attractive Nitrile Degrading biocatalyst,” International Journal of Pharma and Biosciences, 3, 232-246, 2012.
• Nigam VK, Khandelwal AK, Agarwal A, Vidyarthi AS, Mohan MK, Gothwal RK, Ghosh P, “Biotransformation of Nitriles,” Recent Advances in Microbiology (volume 1), SP Tiwari., R Sharma, RK Singh (Eds.) Nova Publication, USA, 461-478, (ISBN: 978-1-61470-632-8), 2012
• Nigam VK, Agarwal A, Khandelwal AK, Vidyarthi AS, “Biodegradation of Nitriles using Nitrile Metabolizing Enzyme-Nitrilase” Environmental Biotechnology-Recent Perspectives. N Joshi., KC Sharma., M Sharma (Eds.) Lambert Academic Publishing, Germany, 10-30, (ISBN 978-3-8484-2515-0), 2012
“Biosynthesis of Indole-3-Acetic Acid using Free and Immobilized Cells of Thermostable Nitrilase producing Microorganism” under the guidance of Prof. Vinod K. Nigam, Birla Institute of Technology, India. Thesis consists of 4 chapters. Chapter 1 gives a brief introductory note which outlines nitrilase, indole-3-acetic Acid and methods of biotransformation of indole-3-acetonitrile. Chapter 2 discusses solution of biotransformation of indole-3-actonitrile using nitrilase. Chapter 3 discusses methods adopted for isolation of nitrilase producing microbe, characterization of microbe, purification of nitrilase from microbe, different methods to immobilize nitrilase and upscaling of immobilized nitrilase in lab-scale fermentor. Chapter 4 discusses results obtained from methods adopted in chapter 3.
• English & Hindi